Simvastatin is a type of medication which is used to lower ‘bad’ cholesterol levels and triglycerides (types of fat) in the blood. Use of this medication, in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, can lower the risk of heart attack, stroke and other heart complications in individuals with diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other heart related risk factors.
What is Simvastatin?
Simvastatin is a type of medication which belongs to a group of drugs called HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins". Statins reduce low-density lipoprotein, or LDL levels (‘bad’ cholesterol) and triglycerides and increase levels of high-density lipoprotein, or HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) in the blood.
The right Simvastatin dosage for you will be determined by your doctor. This medication is commonly prescribed to adults and children who are at least 10 years old. The Simvastatin cost or price will be determined by the dosage that you are prescribed.
What is Simvastatin used for?
Simvastatin is used to reduce the amount of cholesterol made by the liver. This medication helps in lowering levels of ‘bad cholesterol’ and raising levels of ‘good cholesterol’. Simvastatin reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke, and heart attacks.
Simvastatin works best with a healthy routine that includes a proper diet, exercise, weight loss, and quitting unhealthy habits like smoking.
How is Simvastatin used?
Simvastatin comes in the form of a tablet, meant to be taken orally, once a day. It is recommended that you take this medication around the same time every day. Do not take Simvastatin more or less than prescribed by your doctor. And do not stop taking it even if you begin to feel better.
What are the side effects of Simvastatin?
The following side effects are commonly associated with Simvastatin:
- Stomach pains
- Memory loss
Some side effects, however, are very serious, and if you experience any one of them, call your doctor immediately and seek help.
- Dark colored urine, or dark red urine
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Trouble breathing
- Lack of energy
- Prolonged weakness
- Pain in the upper right part of the stomach
- Joint pains
- Sensitivity to light
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
What precautions should I take before using Simvastatin?
Before taking simvastatin, you are advised to inform your doctor about the following:
- If you are taking any anti-fungal medications
- If you are taking any prescription or non-prescription medications, nutritional supplements, herbal products or vitamins
- If you have or have had any form of a liver disease
- If you drink more than two alcoholic drinks a day
- If you are over 65 years of age
- If you are Asian and especially of Chinese origin
- If you have diabetes, seizures, muscle aches, underactive thyroid gland, low blood pressure or kidney disease
- If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you are having any kind of surgery, including dental surgery
You can get Simvastatin at your local pharmacies or online pharmacies such as HealthWarehouse.com.